There are many false proclamations I hear often that people give as an excuse as to why people shy away from chiropractic. I am writing this blog to set the record straight as to the false illusions “non-chiropractic believers” may have.
- I don’t believe in Chiropractic. Chiropractic is not a religion or belief system nor am I an ordained minister, preacher, rabbi, the Dalai Lama or even a guru. Chiropractic works whether you believe in it or not. It is a science, tested with time and results allowing people to get healthy. It works on children who have no pre-conceived ideas as to what chiropractic is. It works great on animals, from small cats and dogs to large horses. It works on tiny infants’ minutes old to my oldest patient who was 105 years old.
- I don’t have the time. The question is, how much time do you spend in a day doing things that are bad for you as opposed to doing things that are good for you? How much time do you spend on your phone looking at social media? How much time do you spend each night watching TV? How much time do you spend reading or watching the negative campaigns of the media? How much time in your life do you spend watching or reading in a magazine about pharmaceuticals? If you listen to the side effects that are mumbled towards the end of the commercial, they all say do not use if you are allergic to ______, your symptoms may get worse, and the catch all phrase: “serious side effects can lead to death.” An average 1-hour TV show has 5-6 commercials every 10 minutes. This totals about 20 minutes of commercials that are brain-washing you into thinking that a pill can solve all your problems. An average in-and-out time in my office (even without an appointment!) is 5 minutes to a maximum of 20 minutes. If you just DVR a show so you can fast forward the commercials, there is your 20 minutes it takes to see your chiropractor. Take 20 minutes away from staring at your phone on social media. Time is manmade, you can either create priorities for your time or you can let it all slip past doing things that are not important.
- I don’t have the money. This is a popular reason and I completely understand that with today’s cost of living raising so drastically, it is hard to get ahead as most people are just living paycheck to paycheck. Many people have the luxury of health insurance, most of which cover chiropractic with a simple co-pay. However, with the high deductibles (the amount you must pay before insurance will start reimbursement) since Obama Care, your cost for chiropractic may be more initially. Others have the luxury of a Health Savings Account (HSA) that is set up by your employer or yourself, to help with these costs and for chiropractic visits as well. For those who do not have these luxuries… My mission is to help as many people as I can regardless of their ability to pay. With that being said, our office has affordable wellness plans and I try to keep my fees as low as possible. We offer hardship plans. All you have to do is fill out an application that shows you qualify, and we will arrange an affordable payment option.
- I heard that once you go to a chiropractor, you must keep going for the rest of your life. This is one of the most ridiculous accusations that I have heard, and trust me, I’ve heard it hundreds of times. I guess some people think that chiropractors have this amazing, magical power over people and once you come in for your first visit, a wand is waved, and you must keep coming forever. You always have a choice!! In fact, I wish more people would take their health into their own hands and make their own choices when it comes to their health rather than just giving all the power to their medical doctors. “Oh, my doctor said that I need the flu shot so I have to get it.” I am here to tell you that it is a choice as well. Do your research, know the risks and side effects of all and any medication you put into your body as well as any medical tests that you undergo. Yes, there are risks in all medical tests including a simple x-ray, blood work, MRI, colonoscopy, etc. Back to your choices on chiropractic. To receive the full benefits of optimum health with the aid of chiropractic, it is a wise choice to continue receiving chiropractic checkups long after your symptoms have gone away. Do you go to the dentist for a checkup even if you do not have tooth pain? Do you go to your medical doctor for a 6 month or yearly checkup even if you do not have any problems? Do some medications require you to take them for the rest of your life? (for example: thyroid replacement.) Your chiropractor is trained to detect and correct subluxations which are irritations to the central nervous system that can interfere with the transmission of nerve impulses to every organ, muscle or tissue in the body. Unfortunately, with our daily grind of driving in the car, working on computers, looking at our phones as well as heavy lifting or repetitive injuries, subluxations once removed by the chiropractor can come back, or at times another area can become affected causing another subluxation. Therefore, regular maintenance or wellness care is recommended to determine if you have been “re-subluxated.”
- My medical doctor told me not to go to the chiropractor. I have to say this one gets under my skin more than any of the other excuses. There is a time and a place for medicine and there is a time and place for chiropractic. I would never tell a patient to not go to their medical doctor. In fact, I am usually the first one to say to a patient that any medication issue, surgery issues or testing, “go see your physician about that.” There have been times where a patient comes into my office for something that is definitely not a chiropractic issue and I will send them directly to the hospital or tell them to seek medical attention. I do not claim to know how to take care of patients medically, so why would a medical doctor claim to understand how to take care of a patient and know if chiropractic will benefit them or not? In my 27 years of practice, I have worked with and adjusted many medical doctors, surgeons, nurses, dentists, and physical therapists. My wish is that we all work together to help all of humanity to regain and control the major health issues in our societies.
- I don’t like the “cracking” sound especially in my neck. This one I can sympathize with. It can be scary hearing and feeling the “cracking” noise in the neck area especially. Well contrary to what you may have heard, there are many techniques to chiropractic and we can have the same results without having to “crack your neck” or other areas of your body! We have a scientifically proven Arthro-Stimulator that provides a mechanical adjustment with a precise, fast impulse rather than the “cracking”.
- I am not in pain why would I go to a chiropractor? If you are not in pain that is fantastic! However, only about 10% of your nerves in your spine deal with pain. The other 90% keep your body functioning at its optimum by telling your heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, glands, digestion, etc. what to do and keeps them all working together in homeostasis. So, if you only go to the chiropractor for pain, you are potentially only getting 10% of the overall benefits we have to offer. The biggest gift a chiropractor can give to you is for you to achieve and maintain optimum function with regular wellness care!
- I am too old for chiropractic. You are never too old for chiropractic. As I mentioned before, my oldest patient so far was 105 years old! We take care of all humans as well as cats and dogs from womb to tomb. We have very safe and gentle techniques that we tailor to everyone’s needs. The benefits are less pain, better health, better mobility and being able to some things that you may not have been able to do before chiropractic, like play with your grandchildren or even great grandchildren.
- I don’t like doctors. I’m sure you have heard the old saying “don’t judge a book by its cover.” This saying is not true as far as our office goes. We spent hundreds of hours (and I won’t say how much money!) to make our office feel different as soon as you walk in. Everything in the decor from the floors, colors, furniture, and even the smells, all have a purpose to help you relax and not feel like you’re in a typical doctor’s office. We try to make it as simple as possible with minimal paper work. We go out of our way to make it easy for you by not having appointments, so you can get there when you can get there and not stress about being late to an appointment. We work hard to keep the flow going so you rarely wait more than 10 minutes in our office. So yes, judge us from the first step you take into our office and then we will make sure the rest of your experience here is like no other doctor’s office including the care by Dr. Eric.
- I heard of someone who felt worse after my adjustment. Not all doctors, chiropractors, car mechanics, hair stylists, artists, lawyers are the same! Again, we pride ourselves on being different from all other doctors and even other chiropractors. I can’t explain or defend what may have happened with the person who said “they felt worse,” but I can explain what may happen in our office. All too often, people show up to my office as a last resort after trying everything from medications to other doctors’ visits to “I thought it would just go away.” After a chiropractic exam and determining that you are a chiropractic case, we perform what is called an adjustment (change for the better.) To make a shift in your spine, we must work with muscles, ligaments and bones that may have been stuck out of place for years. Although rare, the muscles may fight back with tightness or soreness after the adjustment. This is temporary and usually goes away within a few days but can be relieved earlier with a simple ice pack applied to the area for about 20 minutes. 90-99% of the time, people feel at least a little better when they walk out of our office after their first adjustment. As far as safety goes, I always relate it to my malpractice insurance costs. My malpractice insurance is less than my car insurance. If there were any issues of safety with chiropractic care, I am sure the costs would be much more and more comparable to a medical doctor whose insurance can cost over $100,000 per year.
Statins include Atorvastatin (Lipitor), Fluvastatin (Lescol), Lovastatin (Altoprev), Pitavastatin (Livalo), Pravastatin (Pravachol), Rosuvastatin (Crestor) and Simvastatin (Zocor). Are given as a prescription to lower cholesterol levels in the body.
According to the Mayo Clinic, (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statin-side-effects/art-20046013) doctors often prescribe statins for people with high cholesterol to lower their total cholesterol and reduce their risk of a heart attack or stroke. While statins are highly effective, they have been linked to muscle pain, digestive problems, raising blood sugar and causing type II diabetes, mental fuzziness, cataracts (healthover50.com), raising liver enzymes and in some people, and may rarely cause liver damage. The people who are at higher risk for taking statins include: females, smaller body frames, drinking alcohol, other medications, and already having kidney or liver disease.
Statins work by blocking the enzyme HMG Co A Reductase in the liver which is used by the body to produce its own cholesterol. This enzyme is also responsible for the production of energy in the body causing many of the side effects listed as well as feeling tired all the time. What most people do not realize is that your body produces cholesterol for a reason. It is essential for the production of cell membranes (which is very important because your body is in a constant state of building new cells to replace old cells) and it is the key component in the production of hormones (they regulate all functions of the body including your metabolism). Most of all, it is essential in the production of vitamin D with sun exposure. Vitamin D is associated with higher HDL’s and lower LDL’s (good and bad cholesterol). Vitamin D is vital to:
- Maintain the health of bones and teeth
- Support the health of the immune system, brain, and
- Regulate insulin levels and aid diabetes management
- Support lung function and cardiovascular health
- Decreasing the expression of genes involved in cancer
Cholesterol also helps in the formation of your memories and is vital for neurological function. Your liver makes about ¾ or more of your body’s cholesterol. According to conventional medicine, there are two types:
- High-density lipoprotein or HDL: This is the “good” cholesterol that helps keep cholesterol away from your arteries and remove any excess from arterial plaque, which may help to prevent heart disease.
- Low-density lipoprotein or LDL: This is the “bad” cholesterol that circulates in your blood and, according to conventional thinking, may build up in your arteries, forming plaque that makes your arteries narrow and less flexible (a condition called atherosclerosis). If a clot forms in one of these narrowed arteries leading to your heart or brain, a heart attack or stroke may result.
Also making up your total cholesterol count are:
- Triglycerides: Elevated levels of this dangerous fat have
been linked to heart disease and diabetes. Triglyceride
levels are known to rise from eating too many grains and
sugars, being physically inactive, smoking cigarettes,
drinking alcohol excessively, and being overweight/obese.
- Lipoprotein (a) or Lp(a): Lp(a) is a substance that is made
up of an LDL “bad cholesterol” part plus a protein
(apoprotein a). Elevated Lp(a) levels are a very strong risk
factor for heart disease. This has been well established,
yet very few physicians check for it in their patients. (Lp(a)
also, was not assessed in the featured study)
Another factor that most do not realize when you take a statin is that you lower the good and the bad cholesterol levels. By doing so, you have no way to remove the harmful Triglycerides and Lipoproteins causing the buildup of plaque. Most articles in my research give false information and say that it is the cholesterol (a waxy like substance) that builds up in the arteries which is simply untrue and misleading!! Why aren’t the articles focusing on the dietary factors of Triglycerides and Lipoproteins and addressing them rather than the cholesterol.
A simple analogy would be: if your house is on fire and the smoke detectors (aka high cholesterol) were going off, a logical solution would be to remove yourself from danger and call the fire department. The fireman race into your house, break open the door, take an ax and smash the fire detector until it no longer can do its job, but the annoying noise of the alarm is gone. The fireman walks out, and says, “it’s safe to go back in to the house because that annoying fire alarm is no longer active.” Meanwhile, the fire is raging in the basement (aka Triglycerides and Lipoproteins) and you have no way of warning of the dangers anymore and the fire department is gone. So, you go about your business and wait for the inevitable to happen. (I know this analogy may sound ridiculous, but it is the same ridiculousness as blaming cholesterol for heart disease and stroke!)
Why then are so many statin’s being prescribed? Lipitor (Atorvastatin) was the top-selling prescription medication in the United States in 2010, earning its manufacturer, Pfizer, more than $7 billion in total revenue. The overall market for prescription lipid-lowering drugs continues to grow; this drug class had greater prescription volume than any other class in 2010, with statins dominating the market. (2010 U.S. spending and prescription information. IMS Health. April 7, 2011) (http://www.imshealth.com/portal/site/imshealth/menuitem.a46c6d4df3db4b3d88f611019418c22a/?vgnextoid=ed2e5a6b5895f210VgnVCM100000ed152ca2RCRD&cpsextcurrchannel=1)
There is also a big push to lower the cholesterol numbers to 180 to 200 milligrams per deciliter of blood. It all started in 1985 when Adult Treatment Panel (ATP) was organized. This panel is an expert panel to supervise cholesterol management and was set up under the aegis of National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP). Since then, NCEP-ATP has been revising and framing guidelines to enable clinician to deliver better treatment to cardiovascular patients and to educate general people. However, as cancer continues to rise, heart disease has also had a recent rise in incidences. (https://news.heart.org/cdc-u-s-deaths-from-heart-disease-cancer-on-the-rise/)
In conclusion, cholesterol is innocent and healthy! It is anti-inflammatory (good for the body). However, when we eat sugar, flour and trans fats, (IE: margarine, shortening) we inflame cholesterol by turning it into a free radical (damaging to the body). In other words, eating foods with cholesterol is not the problem. You could never eat enough cholesterol to raise levels in the blood, it is from your body’s production of it. The main issue is the non-cholesterol component of the diet, including sugar, flour, refined grains, and trans fats which determines if we inflame or defame our body’s cholesterol. (The Deflame Diet by David R. Seaman, DC, MS pg. 158)
Let’s first break down the words: Hol=whole, istic=works with. Holistic is working with the whole body. Chiro=hands, practor=to practice or always improve. So, we work with our hands to improve you. In conclusion, a Holistic Chiropractor is one whom works with his hands to improve your whole body and make it work better rather than just treating a simple symptom or one area of the body.
Allopathic is a system of medical practice that aims to combat disease by use of remedies (such as drugs or surgery) producing effects different from or incompatible with those produced by the disease being treated. (Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary) So in other words, Allopathic medicine tries to break the body down to smaller and smaller parts, then they try to address a specific part with surgery or a chemical reaction with a drug. In my opinion, the body is so complicated and different for every single individual, that this approach requires constant change and innovation with little to no improvement on the outcome in a person’s overall health.
Many people confuse the approach of Allopathic medicine with Holistic Chiropractic. These two concepts are in no way similar and should not be confused. Chiropractic has been confused as a treatment for back pain, headaches or other musculoskeletal symptoms. I am here to tell you that concept is not true. In fact, chiropractic does not treat any symptom or condition. You might be thinking: what?? I’ll repeat: chiropractic does not treat any symptom or condition. However, it does treat dis-ease (or, lack-of-ease.) My job is to look at your whole body structurally and functionally, to determine how we can get it all to work better. Once we determine what to do, we apply an adjustment (a change for the better) to the structure of your body to allow your whole body to improve function. This adjustment is performed most of the time to the spinal column because the central nervous system controls the function of every single cell, tissue and organ in the body. However, there are times to adjust other areas such as diet, mental attitude, reduction of stress, exercise regimes, etc.
Holistic chiropractors are highly in tune with these other aspects as well. Don’t just settle for a treatment of a pain or a symptom. Take charge of your own health because you are the one who must live in your body. Use the tools that your holistic chiropractor can help you with. In this approach, I can guarantee you will be much happier and healthier with less dependence on medications and surgeries.
– Dr. Eric Evans
I am sure that you have all heard the phrase “my kid, my spouse, my friend, needs an attitude adjustment.” I am here to tell you that a chiropractic adjustment is an attitude adjustment.
One of the biggest myths about chiropractic and health care in general is that if you feel okay or you do not have any pain, then you don’t need to do anything. We can thank allopathic medicine for that one! I am here to tell you that is false. In fact, when we feel good, we need to do more to maintain our wellness. When you feel good, you should be exercising regularly, you should be eating healthy, you should have a regular prayer or meditation practice to keep your mind clean. Why is it that when people “feel good,” they don’t want to do anything to even get better than they are when the “feel good!” Good is not good enough in my book, everyone has the right to FEEL and BE fantastic!
Here is a known fact that only a few people truly understand. Chiropractic is WAY more than just pain relief. Chiropractic is a whole (holistic) healthcare system that works through balancing the nervous system which in turn controls the glandular system (including the pituitary gland which is the master gland in the brain.) When you receive a chiropractic adjustment from a holistic chiropractor, you are receiving an attitude adjustment. Your attitude, mood, memory, energy levels, ability to sleep and most of all, your immune system are directly controlled by hormones. A chiropractic adjustment helps to balance the hormones.
Ladies, I am sure that you have felt this imbalance many times in your moon cycle. That week between ovulation and your menstrual cycle can often fluctuate your mood from one extreme to another, also known as pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS)
I’m sure that you have been a witness to the effects of hormones. I’m sure that you have seen the screaming child crying and throwing a fit because they did not get their own way. Have you seen a teenager with extreme acne and/or that they’re tired all the time? Do you know someone who is angry all the time? Do you know someone who is depressed or who has anxiety? This is what can happen when hormones are out of balance. It can happen to anyone at any time.
Keep your hormones in check, and go to your holistic chiropractor to receive an attitude adjustment. Not only when you are in pain, but when you feel good to keep you good!
Thank you for reading my blogs to have a better understanding of how you can control your health.
Eric T. Evans, D.C.
“So, did you beat that allergy thing yet?”
“Nope! Let me tell you something, I have been on every allergy drug and then some! At the same time and then separate. Afrin is my enhancer when I really want the drugs to work! My sinuses are just so stuffed up I must find relief so I spray and spray after the drugs I take. Sudafed now is working for me, I love it. I mean you know me, I took Nasacort, Zyrtec, Claritin, Flonase, you name it, I took it. Sometimes, I even take them together and sometimes, I would just pick whatever ones I felt like and yum, down the hatch, just hoping for these sinuses to open up so I can find relief! I just can’t stand it!”
“Oh my God, are you serious? That’s a lot of drugs, but you have to do what you have to do, right? I mean, whatever makes you feel good.”
“Let me tell you, I just love Prednisone, and I LOVE MY DOCTOR! After he prescribed me some of the other drugs he just said, now take Prednisone until your symptoms clear because your sinuses are very inflamed and you need to reduce the inflammation! He gave me a prescription and I took it for the last 2 days and I love it! It kicked in just after 2 days! I took Afrin after and I finally got relief, it worked! Wait, hold on for a minute…”
…….. Silence, and then…….
COUGH, COUGH, COUGH, COUGH, COUGH, COUGH, COUGH, COUGH, COUGH, COUGH, COUGH.
“Oh wow, are you okay?”
“Oh yeah I’m totally fine, I feel great!”
That was a conversation that I overheard in the ladies’ bathroom down the shore. I was in a stall between them and overheard this conversation.
As we all came out of the stalls, we washed our hands and the woman continued to chat about how fantastic she feels now. More coughing occurred as she struggled to get her words out as they left the bathroom. The words:
“Now I just have to get rid of this cough and I just seem to not be able to.”
Does this conversation seem familiar to you? Can you relate in some way to how uncomfortable the woman was with her stuffed sinuses and coughing? The irony of it all is that the more drugs she took, the weaker her immune system became and less the drugs worked which then turned into even more drugs being suggested to “help” her. Finally, when the doctor just doesn’t know what to do anymore because the inflammation is at an all-time high, he gave her the big mac-daddy drug, Prednisone. I’m not at all going to say this is right or wrong, I’m simply stating the facts of what occurred in the bathroom that day. I want to simply inform you of what really happens when all those drugs are taken because I have been there before! I am so grateful to to say that I am no longer dependent on those drugs for my health! I took the power back in deciding to choose to be healthy again with natural chiropractic adjustments and Kundalini Yoga!
-Kundalini with Kimberly
Sat Nam all! This is our part 2 on cursing! Let’s get right to it!
In part 1, I explained what is out of balance regarding the body. In Kundalini Yoga tradition, I have learned that we have ten bodies. In my own findings, it seems that three out of the ten bodies are weakened and all may add to a fowl mouth.
The first body type that is out of balance is the Soul Body. The Soul Body is in fact the first body and relates to our “inner self.” It’s the voice that speaks to you and guides you to your true purpose. The Soul Body motto is “head versus heart.” So, when we curse, the question is, are you living from your ego or from your heart? Hopefully you answered EGO! That’s right folks, you are activating from the ego! That tricky ego! You are certainly not acting from the intuition of the heart center!
Now, this Soul Body is also connected to our root chakra. When someone curses and says the word “s?@t,” where do you think they are out of balance? Yes, in the root! (This is also where we eliminate.) When someone says that word, that’s exactly what they must do!!! This Soul Body is said to be the “meaning of why we are here, the lessons we are to learn.” I don’t think you want crappy lessons, do you? What you say with your tongue affects your reality. The other nine bodies that you have are “servants to this soul body,” so, if your saying “s*%t,” then you will s#^t, or, you will be in s*%t! Your root is so stuffed up and you must eliminate your own egoic self.
When you’re not eliminating properly in balance, your gut acquires more s#&t! (It relates to poor digestion so be cautious of what you’re eating!) A lot to think about the next time you hear this word!
What about that phrase,” God damn it?” Ouch! News flash, you are God! You hold the energy of God! You all have the energy forces of: G=Generating, O=Organizing and D=Delivering or Destroying! God is not a religion, God is an energy and when you “God damn” something, you are destroying you. You are proclaiming to the universe that you will damn up your creative manifestations!
Like a beaver that creates a damn in the river, well, you’re no different; You are restricting the flow of the beautiful, creative life force to your happiness. Why would you do that? Again, watch your words, they create your reality!
Finally, the last body that is affected by cursing is the Subtle Body! This is your refinement, your grace, your containment of communication. The Subtle Body is just that…subtle. It contains wisdom and knowledge of the infinity and works very closely with the Soul body! When this body is unbalanced, you can be crude with your speech. One way to balance this body is to simply speak nicely! In Kundalini Yoga, we chant and say mantras that help connect us to our hearts and our true selves. It’s certain combinations of sounds that project to universe an outcome.
One mantra that helps balance and strengthen the Subtle Body is the Sa Re Sa Sa mantra. It helps refine our speech. Try it by chanting it, singing it, or just simply saying it. The world can be a more refined, kind, graceful place all just by you working on yourself which ultimately will affect others positively!
Isn’t this a necessity now? The crudeness of others does not have to represent or affect you. Be different! Help make the shift and an example especially for our children.
Here is the Sa Re Sa Sa mantra below:
Sa Re Sa Sa, Sa Re Sa Sa, Sa Re Sa Sa, Sarung, Har Re Har Har, Har Re Har Har, Har Re Har Har Harung!
(Allow your tongue to dance on the upper palette and have fun with the tune!)
Sending out vibration of grace and kind speech to all! Keep it real folks!
Until next time, Keep Calm and Sat Nam.
Kundalini with Kimberly
Aahhhh… The sun on my face, sand between my toes, the sound of waves, the call of the seagulls , smells of suntan lotion and salt air, blue skies… plus, I have a fantastic sandwich that I’m really looking forward to eating at lunchtime. It’s a perfect beach day down in Mannasquan, NJ. I am in my happy place! It’s packed on the beach today as everyone is enjoying the beautiful beach days left in our summer. It’s the place I go to that I can breathe in all the senses of nature that touch my soul. Such peace it brings me to look out into the ocean.
I take my seat ready to eat my lunch and I tune in to what “other sounds are around me.” What’s THAT I hear???? People cursing extremely loudly? The young adults behind me are all cursing in normal conversation. Dropping the “F” bomb in every sentence as they tell their stories to each other, as well as the other famous word that starts with “S and ends with T” .. you all know that word. It continues. I’m hoping that it stops soon as I look around at one of natures most beautiful places that’s being cursed upon. What is happening to my perfect beach day? Do I have to listen to this? Not even my music would be loud enough to drown out their fowl language. And I’m thinking this is just great, I’m all set up and now I have to move. Thinking to myself, “ouch, the sand is hot!” but I won’t participate in listening to this, and why should I? I came to beach to breathe and chill out, and listening to this garbage-talk come out of their mouths is now stressing me out and now I’m just complaining! But wait..now I think I’m getting angry. Why am I angry? It’s the perfect beach day! So, I practice my breathwork that will cool me down and I decide that I now have to move my chair away from this group. But, before I do, I begin to think and observe…
Why are they cursing? Why do I curse sometimes? (Yep, even I do) Wow, how it truly affects others when you curse. Well, in Kundalini yogic tradition, I’ve learned that the body is actually made up of 10 bodies! I’m thinking, hmmmmm, what body is out of balance that perhaps has something to do with this harsh language? So I dive into my research and I come up with not just one body out of balance, but three bodies are out of balance! The Soul body, the Physical body and the Subtle body! All are weakened. (It’s too much to explain in this first blog post, so I’ll just explain how all of those bodies relate to each other in regards to harsh language)
People curse because they are overwhelmed with life’s challenges. They are simply frustrated and angry. There is no grace or refinement in their speech and they are forgetting the trueness of their real self, the Divine parts of themselves. Well, life is going to give us challenges and it’s up to us how we navigate through those times with grace, strength and ease. Just like the ocean, the tide rolls in, the tide rolls out. Our tongues are related to our hearts, so why are we dis-heartening ourselves? That’s exactly what you do when you curse. You are out of your own heart. Listen folks, the world today is already upset, hurt and angry, why add to that with your bitter tongue? Why not be the change that is so required? You know, THE LIGHT! The kindness. The compassionate.
Try this breathwork when you catch yourself cursing or when you hear cursing:
Sitali Pranayam…. It soothes and cools the system down especially in the areas of 4th, 5th and 6th vertebrae of the spine. It’s a detoxifying breath which leads to a new you. There are a ton of more positive affects with this breath, but to keep it simple, just try it when you are running hot. Catch yourself and get back into your heart and breathe.
Always tune in first with mantra..
Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo (repeat 3x)
Sit tall with a straight spine. Roll your tongue and extend just past your lips. I nhale through the curled tongue and exhale through the nose slowly.
Continue this for 1-3 minutes or 26 rounds (it doesn’t matter which, just breathe until feel calm)
To end, inhale through the nose, and hold your breath for a few seconds then exhale. Repeat. Feel the shift.
You might notice your tongue tasting bitter at first, but the more you practice this breathwork, the sweeter it will become.
End your practice with the mantra: Sat Nam!
For it is the Sat Nam that will set you free from that anger.
Part two to follow!
Kundalini with Kimberly
“With every thought, ask only one question: “Will this thought, if I pursue it, make me noble or will it make me bitter? Will it make me a stone-head or will my fragrance be all over the world? Will it give me strength to make people happy or will it make other people unhappy?” (Yogi Bhajan everyday)
Such a beautiful quote for today. Today, I received some news and I thought, wow, how perfect this quote is for me. Because the news I received wasn’t what I had hoped for. My “thoughts” went into an “I’m just not good enough and I can’t do everything.” I stopped myself quickly with the 4-part breathwork and thoughts in my head changed to.. “Hey, it’s okay, you aren’t perfect, and you know what Kimberly, it’s not up to you, its up to God.” My thoughts could have spiraled that yes, like the quote would have made me bitter today and no, that is not good for me nor for others! Just know this to all that feel “I’m not good enough.” And the “oh, why me?” You know that victim-hood thing … Tell your ego to stop it. Breathe 4 sniffs in through the nose, hold for 4 counts and then exhale for 4 counts all while mentally repeating the mantra: Sa Ta Na Ma. It worked for me today and my thoughts changed to “hey Kimberly, your imperfectly perfect and accept you just as you are today! Let go, let God.” A smile returned to my face and it’s a great day of just being in love with me. Sat Nam.
-Kundalini with Kimberly (2/15/17)
Okay, it’s January fourth. All of the holidays are officially over. Hopefully, your stress level will slowly start to settle as we get back into our regular routines, or until we get all the credit card bills for last month. The holidays are meant to be a time for giving and sharing love with the ones you cared about. Today, we have turned it into a retail nightmare. Having to get presents for all those people, some who you only see once a year. Why do we put so much into the presents? Is it possibly a hope that the person will accept you or love you more if you give them gifts? Is it possibly a way to fill a void of self love for yourself?
Now it is all over and you are left feeling that you have to make New Years resolutions. All too often unrealistic goals are set creating room to set yourself up for failure. Because of all the stress and overeating of cookies, other holiday foods and alcohol, the most common resolution is to lose weight. We start going back to the gym and start eating healthy again. I agree with this however, most only start and never keep going with the healthy routines. I feel that we should have a goal to start and keep up nurturing our bodies and our minds throughout our whole lifetime. Fad diets and lose weight quickly schemes just do not work and often leave our bodies even more stressed.
In dealing with all this stress, everyone has to realize that we all have stress. In realizing this, you also have to realize that there is always someone who has it worse even though you may feel that you have the most stress of all. After realizing, this you have a choice. The choice is how you choose to react to the stress. The law of attraction instigates that the more you think of and give energy to something the more of it you get. So the more we focus on the stress, the more we get. I choose to visualize a bank account full of money. I choose to look at my body and touch the places that need work and tell myself that I love myself. I choose to move my body in all directions to allow the flow of life to run through it. I choose to either show or tell all the people around me that I am you and you are me therefore we are all one and we must love all. “If you can not see God in All, then you can not see God at All.” (Yogi Bhajan) Choose where to focus your thoughts and actions.
Some great tools to help with all of this is to learn how to meditate. As the world is changing, it is imperative that we all start to meditate and create healing for each other and the world. I use Kundalini Yoga meditations as they work best for me. Exercise a little every day. You need to create sweat as a toxin release as well as to create an increased metabolism combating depression in the cold winter months. Of course, eat your fruit and vegetables and limit your meat intake. I will discus diet in future blogs. Get your chiropractic check ups! All that stress leaves your spine often in a kinked state leading to a compromised nervous system. Only a chiropractor can detect and correct the nerve interference created by stress. But most of all, make your goal for 2017 to be happy. Be happy with who you are, be happy with how far you have come, be happy with all that you have learned in your life, be happy with all the loved ones around you, be happy in knowing that the Universe always provides. Most of all, be happy in loving yourself as it all starts with you!
Yes, it’s the holidays. We all stress ourselves out by running around in crowded shopping malls, staying up late wrapping presents or online shopping, eating sugar and cookies, drinking more wine and beer than normal, and most of all, running up the credit cards spending way too much money on presents. Then, when the dust clears, you are left with a scratchy throat, runny nose and a cough. Does this sound familiar? Of course this happened to me as well, we are spiritual beings having a human experience
Now we need to decide, how are we going to handle these symptoms? For many, they make a call or visit to their medical doctor and ask for some antibiotics. My question is, why? First of all, did you know that antibiotics do nothing for a viral infection? Most common symptoms of the cold (runny noses) are from a virus, not bacteria so taking an antibiotic will NOT help, but it can also harm you by lowering your immune systems ability to fight the virus. (Evidence of this can be found in two studies: The first study is published in Science Translational Medicine and the second appears in Cell Reports.) The second problem when you take an antibiotic even if you do have a non-life threatening bacteria, antibiotics attack not only the bad bacteria, but also the helpful bacteria in your gut thus leaving a void for even MORE bad bacteria to take over once the antibiotic is stopped. Now, don’t get me wrong, antibiotics save lives every day however, no doctor could argue that they are way over-prescribed for conditions that your normal immune system should be able to handle.
So, here is what we personally do in my household… First of all, we stop doing the things that got us into trouble in the first place. We start eating healthy again with lots of fruits and vegetables along with an increased intake of water. We make sure we get our rest and avoid toxins such as white flour, sugar, caffeine and alcohol. We get outside and get some fresh air and sunshine on our faces. We take a walk or some other form of exercise (preferably outdoors if you can.) We make sure we are taking our Ester-C vitamins several times throughout the day, as well as making sure that we take our regular multi-vitamins. We de-stress with a morning Kundalini Yoga ritual at 5 am before we start our day. (If we have a runny nose, we do forward-folds, cat and cow exercises several times throughout the day to get the snot moving around and out of our noses.) And last, but most certainly not least, we get our spines checked by a chiropractor (including myself!) to make sure that our nervous system is working to its optimum. It has been know for a long time that an adjustment boosts the immune system 7 times stronger!!!! The next thing we know, we forget we even had that nasty cold, cough, or sore throat!
Allow your body to work as it is supposed to. Build your immune system rather than depending on a pharmaceutical every time you have a symptom!