Through Sickness and Health
Has this long winter got you down? Is your immune system struggling with the constant change in temperature and moisture in the air? Have you had that consistent cough all winter long? Spring is soon here but not soon enough as most are saying.
If you have been having the cold or flu symptoms as well as sinus congestion, runny nose and coughing from that annoying post nasal drip. Help is in the air. A few pointers to help you combat the winter blues.
- First of all if you are not feeling up to par come in for your chiropractic adjustment right away. Research has shown that a chiropractic adjustment boosts the immune system up to 7 times stronger. Then stick with your adjustments even when you are feeling well to keep the nervous system in balance and your immune system strong. Chiropractic in sickness and in health…
- The lack of sunshine means lack of Vitamin D. You can help by increasing Vitamin D supplementation to keep the immune system working strong all winter long. If there is a glimpse of sunshine go outside and at least get some on your face.
- Don’t join in on all the negative complaining about the weather, about how you feel, about wanting to live somewhere it is warmer etc. The truth is you live here for one reason or another and you have to accept the fact that it is winter, its going to be cold and damp. Make the best of it!!! Research has shown over and over the effects of stress and negativity that lower your immune system. Say 5 things a day that you are grateful for and avoid any conversations that are negative then watch your immune system soar!!!
- Sing upbeat songs or even hum them if your vocal cords are not up to the task. Singing and humming stimulates the release of nitric oxide which is an antimicrobial fighting chemical. It also stimulates the pituitary gland with the vibration on the upper palate. The pituitary gland in your brain is the master gland that controls all the other glands of the body. You can stimulate a better mood happiness and yes even a stronger immune system.
- Stay away from the sugar. I know its easy when you are not feeling good you look at that cookie and think it will make you feel better. It may give you a temporary sense of ecstasy for a few minutes but then you whole body goes into shock. Sugar feeds the bad bacteria in your gut creating a lowered immune system. If you are craving some sweet eat an organic apple or some fresh berries. If you can not get fresh berries frozen are almost as good. Fruit and berries are a different sugar and come with so many other phyto-nutrients and fiber that your body needs especially in the winter months.
- Make a big pot of winter vegetable soup with bone broth. I am sure you have heard of the antibiotic properties of chicken noodle soup. Yes its better than nothing but you can make a super antibiotic concoction of your own by avoiding the noodles (they have the same effect as sugar), put in minimal free range organic chicken as well as organic chicken bone broth. (different than just chick broth). Add in tons of carrots (vitamin A – immune booster) as well as celery, onion and any other vegetable you would like to add. If you want a starch add a few red organic potatoes. Spice as you like… Its delicious and nutritious!!!
- Last but not least… Do NOT forget to keep up with your regular exercise. If its cold outside join a gym, if you cant join a gym go to the shopping mall and walk for at least 30 minutes a day. Exercise is crucial for the circulatory system as well as the immune system. Not to mention the endorphins that are released also know as the happy hormone.
Only you can take charge of your health. Do not wait until you are expressing symptoms to do something about it. Follow the simple and easy steps to avoid the “getting sick” or if you are already “sick” start taking actions to get better. Stop in at Evans Chiropractic for your regular adjustments.